I have been stalled on the RD-400 while I try to solve the rear suspension spacer problem. My solution is to get a lathe. I have been saving and searching for a while with no real luck. Then, last week disaster struck the Guzzi.
The MG V11 have an internal oil filter. Normally I put a hose clamp around the oil filter as an insurance against it backing off while the engine is running. Last time I didn’t. I also didn’t notice that the oil pressure idiot light wasn’t working. Combine those two last week and I roasted the engine. It’s ugly.
The rods are not salvagable. I had to remove one of them with a cutoff wheel because it got so hot the rod bolt welded.
Here is the crankshaft:
This is an excellent picture of a really bad rod journal:
Scored main bearing:
And its matching partner:
And here is where most of the bearing material went:
Fixing this will drain my lathe account…